Sunday, June 18, 2017

Review: SporTube Series 2

Introduction

I used to travel with my gear in regular luggage (and I still do occasionally), but at some point I wanted something dedicated that allowed me to travel with regular spearguns and spearfishing fins, so I decided to look at what was out there (see my Traveling with you gear post) and settled on the SporTube Series 2.


Specifications


  • Adjustable height between 122cm to 212cm
  • Width: 28cm, depth: 15.2cm, Weight: 5.45kg (without handle & lock)
  • Linear size (for airlines) between 165.2cm and 255.2cm, but I have never had an airline ask my to measure it or pay extra (other than the normal extra baggage fee). Mine is usually closer to the lower number.
  • Hard resistant plastic shell
  • Wheels for airport maneuverability
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Lockable

Build

The build is rock solid, I have no worries of my stuff getting damaged inside (as long as it cannot move around too much). I always take the spears out of the mechanism so it doesn't break (the mechanism). The wheels are also very though, I don't see them betting broken anytime soon.

Usage

I am able to fit the following (while keeping it close to the minimal length):

  • 4 spearguns
  • 3 knives
  • a 500g anchor
  • a big pump (for my Best Hunter Okipa II float), something like this.
  • a custom Carter float with it's belt attachment
  • a marseillaise belt
  • a 50m braided float line with its winder
  • 2 pairs of neoprene socks and gloves
  • a pair of fiberglass fins
  • 2 snorkels
  • other small misc. stuff

It is easy to use, tough; I do have some small issues:

  • The wheels are not very pronounced, so if the ground is not paved/flat then I usually have to carry it. That is one of the reason the wheels are to tough though. It also probably means that if you are shorter then you have to raise your arms a bit to make it roll, if not then it will just scrape the floor.
  • Since it travels as special luggage (like baby push-chairs/strollers), then it also has a tendency to be forgotten when there are connections, but this will happen with any special luggage.

Conclusion

I am very happy with mine and the size. As long as you can keep it on the shorter side airline should not bother you (at least not in Europe). If you get the series 3 it is much bigger and can fit much more, however it also looks more imposing and may be viewed as too big to be checked in as extra luggage by some airlines. Most airlines set 158cm as the max linear size so even the series 2 is technically too big but if you keep it short then I have never had issues with it. I think the smallest linear size you could get setup/have with on a series 3 is 180cm... Worst case they charge you are oversized/sports luggage.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, nice review :) I found your topic on Spearfish planet were you ask for locations. I seems to be difficult to find information like this. Therefore I would like to exchange some thoughts with you. Please let me know how to contact you. You can find me on Facebook: Dirk Rouleaux (Netherlands). Best regards Dirk (occasional spearhunter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dirk. sorry for the very late reply, somehow this one got past me. I actually found two profiles on FB with your name, both in NL (different cities though) :-).

      Delete
  2. My speargun was taken off the airplane (transavia) because it was in Rob Allen Tank bag and not in a hard case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know (sorry it happened to you). I assume it is because they were afraid it could break out and hurt someone or something.

      Delete
    2. I’m headed to Greece here soon on Transavia it it’s already seeming like they are the worst airline for luggage hassles. At the moment it looks like I can’t even call it fishing gear and if so then it would be classified as a sports weapon. Can you tell me how you got it through check in and how much you paid before they pulled it off?

      Delete
    3. Hi, I have never taken Transavia so not sure. I adapt what I say to the airline, I read their rules, etc. Some airlines have a big enough max linear size that it can be checked in a regular luggage, others have clear rules and thus since it doesn't fit in any of their sports category then it falls on their default type which is regular luggage. Try removing any stickers that have the word "sport". You need to read very well and adapt.

      Good luck and please tell us how it went once yoo get back from your vacation.

      Delete