Monday, September 9, 2013

Why all the hate?

So mention JBL in any spearfishing forum and you will receive only negative comments. The critiques I have hear so far are:
  • They don't float
  • The trigger is made of plastic
  • The safety is made of plastic
  • They don't shoot straight
  • The build quality is bad
So as mentioned in my speargun post I own a JBL, a Travel Magnum Combo to be exact. The critics must have tried old or cheap models (or none at all and just relay old stories) because I don't get it; mine is a high-end model so this may be why I don't get it:
  • It floats (without the spear)
  • It aims true
  • The trigger and safety are both made of metal
  • It is solidly built
Also I may add that it has the best safety on any speargun I have seen: it is easily accessible (for right handed people at least) with your right hand thumb for both turning it on and off.

I own other spearguns, all Euroguns, and I have evaluated several other Euroguns in view to buy them (Mares, Cressi, Omer, Sporasub, etc) and they often have awkwardly placed plastic safety mechanisms and plastic triggers so I get it even less... Can someone please explain?

You can now see my full review here!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you SwissSpearo... its an amazing looking gun which you can conveniently travel with and you get 2 guns to boot... absolutely ideal!

    Outstanding gun!

    Just wish I could afford one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one niggle: I would like to have a lighter spear, which might not be possible because it must screw apart, but my other 100mm gun with 6.5 mm spears shoot so straight and far.

    ReplyDelete