Friday, August 11, 2017

Review: Custom Carter DSMB Float

Introduction

I wanted an auto-inflate DSMB Float (see here for more info) as a security device in case I got a cramp and needed help getting back to the surface. I also thought it could come in handy if I need to pull a big fish out of under a rock or even to mark a spot so that I can go rest a bit at the surface but still find it later.

While researching DSMB floats I came upon this post, it got me thinking that I needed a setup like his because I have a tendency to get cramps at times and this could happen to me too.

I finally narrowed my choice down to:
They both had good reviews but I settled for the Carter Float for the following reasons:
  1. It is quality hand made by James Carter; who makes heavy-duty lift bags to bring sunk boats up, for example.
  2. It has a 25 lbs (~11 kg) lift (using a 38 gram CO2 cylinder)
  3. He could custom make one for me with 2 CO2 inflators
They both have:
  1. On way oral/manual inflation valve (useful if you are out of CO2 and have to use the float as a emergency flotation/signalling device)
  2. Safety relief valve to vent out excess gas to prevent unsafe internal pressure

General Impressions

I take it with me each time I go spearfishing, it fits snugly on my weight belt on my back and does not bother me at all. It is very well made, the material is tough and of quality; it will not puncture easily and having the safety relief valve will keep it from popping when you go up (due to the change in water pressure).

Here is a picture of the inflated float standard float with one CO2 cylinder; it is not my picture because I didn't want to inflate it on land:
The reason I wanted two CO2 inflators on mine is that since I travel mostly by plane to spearfish I am not able to fly with a CO2 cylinder (due to airline safety regulations) . Since finding a 38 gram cylinder is not easy, I decided to use two 16 gram cylinders instead; these can be purchased in any store that sells bicycle supplies/most sports stores.

Here is what my float looks like:



Since I wanted to put it on my weight belt I needed a holder for it, I got the Riffe Utility Float Holder which works great:



I will add some pictures of my full setup next time I use it.

Safety Device

I suggest trying it out in situations where you may need it so that you understand how it works and its limits.

I have tried inflating it twice, once in a mock emergency situation with my dive buddy and once alone.  In the mock emergency situation with my dive buddy (both of us with our weight belts) it wasn't much help, there was just too much weight. Alone it worked much better and if I had dropped my weight belt (I must unclip the Carter float first) it would have been even better. I tried it as an emergency flotation device and it works well, I recommend dropping your weight belt if needed though. I have not tried flagging a boat with it (for the obvious reasons).

Underwater Marker

I have not tried it as an underwater marker yet, I wanted to be able to partially inflate it with a CO2 cylinder so I devised a setup using the float's oral inflation valve, an adapter (that I still need to work on) and a micro CO2 bicycle tyre inflator with a control value:


I will update this part once I finish it and try it out.

Catch Lifter

I have not yet needed/tried to use it for this, I will update this when I do. 


Conclusion

I am very happy with it, I think it is an important piece of equipment to have with you; I feel safer with it on me. I would recommend getting something like this if you can. If this is too pricey for you you can try buying a simple Surface Marker Buoy (SMB, aka Safety Sausage) and rigging it with an adapter and an on/off bicycle CO2 value, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I just moved to Switzerland and was wondering if you can recommend a site to buy gear on? So far I haven't found any Swiss ones and I'm worried about import duties if I order from abroad. Appreciate any advice you have :)

    ReplyDelete