Thursday, August 13, 2015

Review: Beuchat 3mm Marlin Gloves & Socks

Introduction

I usually use stretchy nylon and leather gardening gloves to spearfish (Rostaing Contact/1), they are cheap and very durable but do not insulate any from the water. I had no socks until now, I decided to get some Neoprene gloves and socks for this reason. I was looking for comfortable and durable 3mm gloves & socks; I wanted some sort of protection on the palms and soles because I am not very careful in the water; I need to be able to rely on my hands and grip anything without wasting any time to look first (in choppy water for example). For the socks I wanted protected soles since I usually cut up my soles when I take off the fins (when climbing rocks). I looked at several brands but the Beuchat Marlin gloves and socks stood out of the lot.



Gloves

The gloves have the following properties:

  • Elaskin Neoprene
  • Kevlar palm & fingertips
  • Titanium open cell lining
They are easy to put on and take off due to the open cell lining being around the hand part and not the wrist. The insulate is good, but my favorite part is the Kevlar palms and fingertips, it really protects well from rocks and even my knife:



Kevlar doesn't grip like some sort of rubbery coating would, so be aware of that (i.e. it won't help loading the speargun). The colors are nice looking too, a black, grey and brown camo, not that this is why I chose them.

Socks

The socks have the following properties:

  • Elaskin Neoprene
  • Supratex soles
  • Titanium open cell lining
  • Anatomical right/left cut
This time the open cell covers the whole inside, unlike the gloves. This means they stick better to your body and isolate you well from the cold but it also means that you can damage them (as I have) when putting them on and taking them off. The fit is good too, I like the fact that you have distinctive right/left socks. The sole protection is quite good, I have nothing negative to say, no cuts so far:


They have the same colors/patterns as the gloves.

Conclusion

I am quite happy with the gloves, they are just what I wanted/expected. The socks I am mostly happy with (4 stars out of 5), I am a bit disappointed they are fragile when putting on/taking off due to the open cell going up to the top but I can live with that now that I know how to manage it; a bit of Neoprene glue will take care of it. I would recommend these products.

As always, if you have any questions or comments don hesitate to write in the comment box below!



No comments:

Post a Comment