Saturday, August 15, 2015

Review: Elios Sub Custom Wetsuits

Introduction


When buying a spearfishing wetsuit you must decide between getting a store bought (factory made) and custom (tailor made) The store bought variety is the easy way to go, you can try several wetsuits and choose the one that fits you best, looks good, etc. A custom made wetsuit is a more daunting experience as you must measure yourself correctly, order it and wait for it to be made and shipped to you. 

The big difference is the fit of course, a custom made wetsuit will fit your body's real shape. This means that it is a lot warmer than a store bought wetsuit and you can get a thinner wetsuit. It also means you can choose how it looks, you can get different thicknesses in different parts, etc. One thing it does not mean however is that it will cost a lot more. In reality it costs often much less than a high end store bought wetsuit. 

Another thing that scares people is that since it is custom made, it will not allow them to gain or lose weight. I would like to mention that this is the same with a store bought wetsuit, it will often either be tighter than necessary or bigger than necessary when you initially get it. This means in you are limited in the weight gain or loss too. Another thing is that Neoprene is stretchy so you can shift your weight a little. Either way, if you are expecting to gain or lose 10 kg then maybe wait before buying a wetsuit. 

I decided to go down the custom made path and I do not regret it. There are several makers available:


I chose Elios Sub as they have a very good reputation.

Order process

The order process is a bit difficult IMO. I expected a nice up-to-date webpage where you just choose the options, give your measurements and pay but it was not like that. While they do have a sort of order form, it does not work. I had to email them and they confirmed this is how it should be done (by email). Communication is difficult at times because their English is not the best and neither is my Italian; we ended up exchanging at least 10 emails. You basically describe what you want, how you hunt, the thickness, the options (see below), open cell or lined, etc and they then send you a list of the available types (with pictures if you want camo). Once you have chosen everything you send them the measurements, pay by credit card on their site and you wait about 40 days.

The options


You have the following options/parameters to choose from:
  • Neoprene type/brand
  • Neoprene thickness
  • Open cell or a lining inside. If you want Open Cell do you want a metallic spray-on lining? If you want a fabric lining which type?
  • Open cell or camo outside. If you want camo which pattern?
  • Hood: Integrated hood, no hood, detachable hood (long neck shirt + short hood)?
  • Knee pads?
  • Chest pad?
  • Pants type: high waist or long johns?
  • Do you want a reversible wetsuit or not?

In reality you cannot mix and match everything as it depends on which Neoprenes they have in stock (this is the list they send you).

Measurements

This is the hard part, I actually had myself measured professionally and when I sent Elios the measurements they asked me to double check some of the numbers. I then measured myself using some videos they sent me and and then had a friend double check. It turns out that the professionally done measurements were wrong, a big thank you to Elios, this impressed me quite a bit that they had noticed this. The measurements they need (and the videos links) are the following (in centimeters):


Fit & Build

When I got my wetsuit I was impressed by the fit, it was right on. The build is very good, they glue and stitch the seams & they use a special protection on the edges:


I have almost no water coming in and what little does does not flush out (this would make you lose heat).

Remarks

The only issue I have is how good the insulation actually is, I ordered a 5mm with hood and even with the hood off I overheat in temperatures where I did not with a different wetsuit. I ended up ordering a second one but in 3mm with a detachable hood this time. The 3mm keeps me warm in places where I wore a 5mm before, I use it when the surface temperature is about 20°C and above. The 5mm I use when the surface temperature is below 20°C (I have not tried it yet with a surface temperature lower than 15°C). I usually get cold fast as I don't have much body fat, to give an indication. Another remark is that my 5mm is stretchier than the 3mm so it is much easier to take off. This is due to the linings used and probably the Neoprene type itself. See below for more info on my order.

My orders


Elios 3mm Wetsuit

(Not me)
  • 3mm Nam Liong Neoprene
  • Nylon elastic green inside
  • Nylon Camouflage yellow-Green outside ("New Mimic")
  • Chest pad
  • Knee pads
  • Closed jacket with high neck
  • Detached hood
  • High waist pants
  • Reversible


Elios 5mm Wetsuit

(Not me)
  • 5mm Sheico Neoprene
  • Superelastic lining inside
  • Lycra Camouflage Red-Green outside ("Camo Reef")
  • Chest pad
  • Knee pads
  • Closed jacket with incorporated hood
  • High waist pants
  • Non-Reversible (the inside is bright purple)

Misc Pictures

High neck (3mm)
Detachable hood (3mm)
Knee pads (3mm top, 5mm bottom)

High waist (5mm)
Attached hood (5mm)

Conclusion

Elios custom made wetsuits are of high quality build and material, they are considered by some the Rolls Royce of Freediving/spearfishing wetsuits for a reason. I am very happy with my wetsuits and recommend Elios Sub.

As always, if you have any questions or comments don hesitate to write in the comment box below!

6 comments:

  1. So it's been a few months now, anything yu would change about your wetsuit has it been durable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have been durable, no issues there. I still prefer the 5mm's linings (Superelastic lining inside,
    Lycra lining outside). They are really streatchy, it is more comfortable and it makes taking the wetsuit off much easier, if I could I would have put the same type in my 3mm but they did not have any when I ordered. Another thing I find useful, on the 3mm this time, is the fact I can reverse it. It depends on how you use it I guess, but when I do apnea only in some places, like protected areas, it attracts less attention when I have the non-camo side out. I have had issues when using camo in those places even without having a speargun. Unfortunately as far as I know it ia one or the other. Other than that I love my wetsuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am looking for a snorkelling wetsuit for here in UK. I like Polo Sub and now Elios. Elios don't show any prices. Are they a similar price to Polo Sub? I like the sound of Yamamoto Neoprene. Any experience of it? Also, you have no elbow pads. Is that ok for snorkelling? Cheers. Chris from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      sorry for the delay. Elios has an old fashioned way of working, basically you email them with your rough needs (long-john or high waist pants, knee pads or not, elbow pads or not, chest load pad or not, attached hood/detachable hood/no hood, thickness, camo/no camo, open-cell/lined inside/outside, etc. They will email you back with the colors/camo types, neoprene types & prices. It is strange at first coming from a modern click-to-order world but you get used to it :).

      For snorkeling in the UK I would suggest lined outside. Personally I like lined inside too since it is easier to use, is less fragile and lasts longer; I have never been cold in their wetsuits. Open-cell inside is going to be warmer but you have to lube it up and you will probably put holes in it with your nails; I have to repair my socks and gloves each time. I usually use my 3mm until the temperatures go below 17-18°C then I switch to my 5mm. I think I could probably use it (3mm) in colder temps but I have never tried. My 5mm is very warm, I have never used it below 15°C but it could probably go to 11-13°C; my feet and hands get cold before (I only have 3mm glove & socks).

      I hope this helps :-)
      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your helpful reply. I have ordered 5mm 3D Camo, open cell inside in Yamamoto 45 neoprene. Expensive but I can't wait for it to arrive. Cheers

      Delete
    3. Have you tried it yet? How do yo like it?

      Delete